Monday, May 29, 2023, is Memorial Day, which is a federal holiday. For many, the holiday means a day off from work, which can make it look like the perfect time for some trading. However, not everything is open on federal holidays. If you’re asking, “Is the stock market closed on Memorial Day 2023?” here’s what you need to know.
Is the Stock Market Closed on Memorial Day 2023?
Yes, the stock market is closed on Memorial Day 2023. Both the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and NASDAQ use the same holiday schedule, and Memorial Day is a holiday when they close.
If you need to handle trades before Memorial Day, you’ll need to complete them before the end of the trading session on Friday, May 26. Otherwise, the stock markets will reopen on Tuesday, May 30.
Stock Market Holiday Closures 2023
As mentioned above, the NYSE and NASDAQ use the same holiday schedule. While it’s close to the federal holiday schedule, there are a few key differences.
Here’s a look at the stock market holiday closures for 2023:
- New Year’s Day (Observed) – Monday, January 2
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 16
- Washington’s Birthday – Monday, February 20
- Good Friday – Friday, April 7
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29
- Juneteenth – Monday, June 19
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4
- Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 23
- Christmas Eve – Sunday, December 24
- Christmas Day – Monday, December 25
The stock market also has some early closures, including one on the day before July 4 and another on Black Friday. Typically, Christmas Eve is an early closure day. However, since it falls on a Sunday this year, the stock markets are closed since they don’t open on Sundays for regular trading.
Also, it’s critical to note that unexpected closures can occur. Typically, these happen if there are technical issues, so they are rare. However, there are instances where it’s occurred, so keep that in mind.
Have you ever wanted to trade on Memorial Day and were disappointed that the stock market was closed, or do holiday closures not impact you? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Holiday Schedule for Costco 2023
- What Is the 2023 Walmart Holiday Schedule?
- Target Holiday Schedule 2023 and Store Hours
Come back to what you love! Dollardig.com is the most reliable cash back site on the web. Just sign up, click, shop and get full cash back!